Tuesday, January 1, 2008

1st Day Excitement

It's been a hell of a first day of 2008 for me. I dropped off my oldest son at the Army Recruiter's Station today; they took him to San Antonio for the night, then will bus him off to Ft. Benning, GA, for Basic Training. I could tell he was nervous/stage fright-like when he started trying to engage me in anything that could be a contest that he could win (thumb wrestling; rock-paper-scissors; i-spy; etc.). It is his way of handling anxiety; we laughed about it in the car on the way to Austin.

I don't miss him just yet; it's still too new. I expect to over the next several weeks as household patterns readjust. I still remember when I left for BT in 1988; I was excited to be starting a new adventure in my life, and both he and I are excited for him in the same way.

I spent the rest of the putting away Christmas stuff (tree and accessories) until next year, and organizing the living room and the guest bedroom/server room/playroom where my son was living for the last six months. While Das and Emmie were napping, Mitda and I "broke in" the newly set up room ;) . Due to many reasons, Mitda and I haven't had as much naked time together as we'd like; this bodes well for 2008!

I just finished the 1st page of my novel. My 2008 goal is a page a day; sounds simple, until you try it. Shouldn't be a problem (this time :) ). I'm also posting every day, even if it's just to say nothing.

Looking forward to the new year!

No comments: